Every month we round up all the stories we can find about fun movie events like marathons, special screenings, and conventions and miscellaneous stuff like food and games. Let’s see what went down in the world of escapism and pop culture shenanigans in August 2014!
Sun-Ray Cinema's Twin Peaks Marathon
Remember that Twin Peaks marathon at Sun-Ray Cinema that we kept warning you about? Well it happened! It happened big time! That's right, on August 22nd and 23rd, Sun-Ray screened every episode of the show and they had an awesome special menu that weekend to complement the marathon. I couldn't attend the event (more on that in a second) but it looks like it was awesome. Check out some highlights below.
Georgia Mini LAMB Meetup
So yeah, I couldn't attend the Twin Peaks marathon, but I can explain. Ya see, I was up in Atlanta that weekend visiting family for some birthdays. I'd recently learned that Andrew and Sarah from Two Ticket For - a husband and wife LAMB (Large Association of Movie Blogs) duo - live up in the Atlanta area, and we made arrangements to meet up at a restaurant called Sweet Melissa's that Sunday for brunch.
|Not pictured: delicious Nutella french toast.|
Photo from sweetmelissas.com.
The breakfast was amazing but the company was even better. We essentially just talked movies the whole time. I had an awesome time meeting Andrew and Sarah and I'm looking forward to the next meetup. Any Florida/Georgia LAMBs are welcome to join us next time!
Aaron Paul's Breaking Bad Scavenger Hunt
Aaron Paul from Breaking Bad held an awesome BB-themed scavenger hunt to commemorate the show's last hurrah at the Emmys. It looks like it went pretty well. Check out The AV Club's write up of the event here.
Go meet one of the scary cousins @LuisMoncada77 at pinches tacos on Sunset. He will be inside holding some stuffed Jesse and Walt dolls.
— Aaron Paul (@aaronpaul_8) August 25, 2014
- Bid on a chance for an overnight stay in Downton Abbey. - via The AV Club
- An American Werewolf in London is Coming to Universal Hollywood’s Halloween Horror Nights! - via Daily Dead
- Robin Williams Memorial Pops up at Good Will Hunting Bench. - via The Hollywood Reporter and The AV Club
- The Alamo's South Lamar location had an awesome The Shining screening with a pretty cool photo booth...
It's happening! The Shining at @drafthouse S. Lamar (soft opening) TONIGHT! pic.twitter.com/VRmahM0J7j
— Marty Hopkins (@MartyATX) August 13, 2014
- August 18th was Wet Hot American Summer day and you can also buy some pretty sweet WHAS T-Shirts at rustedwave.com! - via Badass Digest
- Jess from French Toast Sunday went to another awesome Jurassic Park event!
Second Jurassic Park event of the summer - outdoor screening at Federal Hill #wesparednoexpense pic.twitter.com/YaXY34jYBW
— Jessica M. (@jess_fts) August 29, 2014
- Here's a report of one of those live orchestra Star Trek screenings. - via Badass Digest
- There's a rumor that Disneyland has big plans for Star Wars and Marvel... - via Nerdist
- Here's a great recap of Secret Cinema's Back to the Future experience. - via Den of Geek
- Cones of Dunshire, the board game created in Parks and Recreation, was made into a real game and played at GenCon. - via The AV Club
- Check out this recap of the Drive-In Massacre 2014 at the McHenry Outdoor Theater! - via The Nightmare Gallery
- "Deep Breath", the premiere episode of Peter Capaldi's Dr. Who run, aired in theaters, did anyone go? - via Fathom Events
- Speaking of Dr. Who, if you live in Jacksonville, you can catch future episodes every Saturday at Midtown Deli!
Post by The Specktator.
Post by https://www.facebook.com/movieclips">MOVIECLIPS
Escape via Food
- The Nerd Lunch Podcast crew talks fictional pop culture food on a new episode! - via Nerd Lunch
- Accio cupcakes! - via justjenn and Nerdist
- Are we getting an HR Giger bar here in the states? - via The AV Club
- Hobbit beers are coming to a shire near you! - via The AV Club
- To celebrate the 20th anniversary of Friends, Warner Bros. is opening an actual Central Perk in New York (for a limited time). - via The AV Club
- Did that whole "limited time" thing getcha down? Well guess what, there's a permanent (and slightly sad) Central Perk in Beijing! - via Buzzfeed
- There's a Dr. Who (man, what am I, a Dr. Who fan all of a sudden? I've never even seen an episode) restaurant in New York called The Pandorica. - via Nerdist
- Ghostbusters Donuts (shout out to Shawn for sharing this on Facebook)!
Post by Dinosaur Dracula.
Do you go to fun escapist events like movie marathons, festivals, movie-themed parties, or concerts? Are you planning on checking out any fun movie fan destinations? Have you seen any cool pop culture themed games or food anywhere? Let us know in the comments or by emailing us at totheescapehatch(at)gmail(dot)com.
Ah another chance to be upset over missing that amazing Twin Peaks event. I'm not sure I could do it, but I'd do my best!!ReplyDelete
Thanks for featuring the picture. Baltimore was on point this summer with their Jurassic Park events. You can't really see but there were easily like 200+ people (this is the set up http://rcr-baltimore.com/images/content/flicks_on_the_hill.jpg but that was not the same night... imagine every surface of the hill full!).
Jess - I'm super upset at myself for missing it. I definitely would have at least checked out a few episodes. The food alone would have made it worth it!ReplyDelete
No problem on the picture! You guys always do awesome stuff every month. That looks like an awesome setup for movies! Thanks for reading/commenting!