Every month we round up all the stories we can find about fun movie events like marathons, special screenings, and conventions and miscellaneous film-life stuff like food and games. Let’s see what went down in the world of escapism and pop culture shenanigans in September and October of 2014!
Apologies that this is so galdurn late! I had every intention of posting a September Escape Artists but it just didn't happen. But now I've got a supersized post for September and October. Not only that, but I have an awesome Escapist of the Month for you guys. Our Escapist(s) of the Month(s) are...
...the French Toast Sunday crew members for all the shit they got up to these past two months, including, but not limited to, the Toronto International Film Festival, their local Comic-Con, and visiting lil' ol' me here in Jacksonville for my annual Halloween party!
The gang is awesome at the whole traveling thing, and it looks like they had a lot of fun at TIFF. You can read more about that trip here.
A few members of the crew went to the Baltimore Comic Con again this year. Check out their coverage here.
Of course, a highlight for me was their visit to Jacksonville...
|Lindsay and me enjoying some breakfast at Maple Street Biscuit Company.
Speaking of, the party was awesome!
Can you guess all of our Halloween costumes? pic.twitter.com/O3BXA70DQg
— French Toast Sunday (@FTStweets) November 1, 2014
|Hangin' at Aardwolf. Yes, I shaved off my beard, and yes I regret it every day.
So thanks for visiting, guys, and thanks for being awesome escape artists!
The Shawshank Tour
Have you ever wanted to go to prison? My neither, unless it's one of those fancy Danish ones. Anyway, my point is, you will soon be able to tour the Shawshank Redemption prison. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (via Film School Rejects and Cinema Blend) reports that they'll be open for tours next year. So get busy livin' or get busy visitin' this prison.
Dismember the Alamo
The Alamo did an awesome thing called Dismember the Alamo! It was basically a crazy horror marathon throughout October at all of their locations. Oh, and guess who attended that as well? Head to Badass Digest to read more.
There was a The Big Lebowski themed wedding, dudes! Read all about it over at Omaha.com (via Lebowski Fest's Facebook).
- The Lord of the Rings is getting in on the live orchestra thing. - The New York Times via The Verge
- MAC Cosmetics is launching a Rocky Horror Picture Show line of makeup. - MAC Cosmetics via Nerdist
- Speaking of Rocky Horror, Sun-Ray and The Florida Theater both did fun audience participation showings of the flick.
- Den of Geek did a really fun birthday celebration for Breaking Bad's Walter White.
- Buzzfeed got an inside look at that Friends Central Perk shop in New York.
- Would you like to text Groot? Ricky Robinett via TechCrunch and comicbook.com
- September 22nd was Hobbit Day!
- September 23rd was David Bowie day in Chicago. Consequence of Sound via The AV Club
- The Cinematic Katzenjammer wrote about six filming locations you can visit.
- There's a university offering a Marvel Movies course. Screen Crush via Geek Tyrant
- 50 Fictional Destinations You Can Actually Visit. Just The Flight via ShortList
- A log cabin company (the hell?) is selling a zombie fortification cabin. Tiger Log Cabins via Den of Geek
- Andrew and Sarah from Two Tickets For visited the Walker Stalker Con in Atlanta!
- Entertainment Weekly reports that Back to the Future will be getting some live orchestra screenings in honor of it's 30th next year.
- Speaking of Back to the Future, BuzzFeed examines the Back to the Future inspired Hendo Hoverboard.
- BuzzFeed also took a look at that Harry Potter-themed hotel, the Georgian House.
- Friend of The Hatch Daniel Lackey went to the 24 hour horror-thon "The Massacre."
Escape via Food
- Food off of a David Bowie-themed menu, anyone? - Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago via The AV Club
- Dr. Who donuts!
DOCTOR WHO Inspired Donuts with TARDIS, Weeping Angels, and More
— GeekTyrant (@GeekTyrant) September 11, 2014
- These are the Batman chips and salsa we deserve. Nerdist
- Shawn from Branded in the 80s tried those Ghosbusters donuts.
- As did CT from Nerd Lunch!
I ain't afraid of no ghosts. Finally got the new #Ghostbuster donuts from @krispykreme. #Ectolicious pic.twitter.com/brdZtRLfX6
Did I miss anything? What fun movie or pop culture stuff did you do in September and October? What are you doing this month? Lemme know!
— CT from Nerd Lunch (@nerdlunch) September 30, 2014
Do you go to fun escapist events like movie marathons, festivals, movie-themed parties, or concerts? Are you planning on checking out any fun movie fan destinations? Have you seen any cool pop culture themed games or food anywhere? Let us know in the comments or by emailing us at totheescapehatch(at)gmail(dot)com.